Friday, August 14, 2009
Louisiana Red Beans & Rice
• 1 pound dried red beans, soaked overnight
• 10 cups water
• 1 pound andouille sausage, sliced into rounds
• 1 large sweet onion, chopped
• 1 green bell pepper, chopped
• 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped (optional)
• 8 cloves garlic, chopped
• 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
• 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning, or to taste
• 6 fresh basil leaves, chopped
• 1 ham hock
• 4 cups cooked rice
• Place the beans and water into a slow cooker. Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Brown the sausage in the skillet; remove from the skillet with a slotted spoon and transfer to the slow cooker. Reserve drippings. Add onion, green pepper, jalapeno pepper and garlic to the drippings; cook and stir until tender, about 5 minutes. Transfer everything from the skillet to the slow cooker.
• Season the mixture with pepper and Creole seasoning. Add the fresh basil leaves and ham hock. Cover and cook on low for about 8 hours, or until beans are tender. If the bean mixture seems too watery, take the lid off the slow cooker and set heat to High to cook until they reach a creamy texture.