Friday, August 20, 2010
• 1/2 cup shortening
• 1 1/2 cups white sugar
• 2 eggs
• 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
• 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
• 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 2 tablespoons white sugar
• 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
• Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
• Cream together butter, shortening, 1 1/2 cups sugar, the eggs and the vanilla. Blend in the flour, cream of tartar, soda and salt. Shape dough by rounded spoonfuls into balls.
• Mix the 2 tablespoons sugar and the cinnamon. Roll balls of dough in mixture. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets.
• Bake 8 to 10 minutes, or until set but not too hard. Remove immediately from baking sheets.
HELPFUL TIPS: Bake for 8 min exactly! ...and you can even wait a few min. for it to cool on the cookie sheet just get it out of the oven!
1st: Use butter AND eggs that are room temp. I've used all butter w/excellent results.
2nd: Mix dry & wet separately.
3rd: Hand mix or you'll get a different result. Do not overmix. I never have cream of tartar, so I use 2 tsp. of white vinegar OR lemon juice.
4th: I used a medium scoop. For the topping, I used 3T. sugar & 3.5 tsp. of cinnamon dumped in ziplock bag. Do not be afraid to over coat. It will NOT turn out too sweet !!! Coat well. :)
**For a REALLY quick and mess-free method of rolling balls of dough in cinnamon/sugar mixture, place mixture in a sandwich baggie and drop one ball in at a time to coat.