Friday, August 20, 2010
• 1 pound Italian sausage links
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1/2 cup onion, chopped
• 1 tablespoon minced garlic
• 1 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
• 1 (14 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
• 2 tablespoons water
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon white sugar
• 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
• 1 (1 pound) package fresh gnocchi
• chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, for garnish
• grated Romano or Parmesan cheese
1. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add sausages and cook until browned and firm, about 10 minutes. Cut sausages into 1/2 inch slices, return to the skillet, and continue cooking until no longer pink. Drain sausage slices on a paper towel lined plate.
2. Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat; stir in onion and cook until the onion softens and turns translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and 1 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning; cook until the garlic softens, about 2 minutes. Pour in crushed tomatoes, water, salt, sugar, and remaining 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning. Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
3. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add gnocchi and cook for 2 to 3 minutes until pasta floats; drain.
4. Meanwhile, stir Italian sausage slices into sauce to rewarm. Toss pasta with sauce, and sprinkle with chopped parsley and grated Romano cheese to serve.