I made some adjustments, and I think they made these enchiladas!
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 large onions, sliced and separated into rings
- 1 can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- a generous 1/3 cup taco seasoning
- 1 can (10 ounces) enchilada sauce
- 3-4 cups shredded cheese, Mexican blend
- 10 flour tortillas
- Salsa (we used pineapple & peach salsa; it really added a lot to the flavors)
- Sour cream
Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a second large skillet. Mash beans and add to skillet. (I use stainless steel pans, and I mashed the beans right in my skillet.) Add in half of the tomato sauce and the taco seasoning. Cook until heated through.
Mix the enchilada sauce with the remaining tomato sauce and spread about 1/2 cup in the bottom of a 9×13 pan.
Spread a large spoonful of the bean mixture on a tortilla. Top with onions and then sprinkle generously with shredded cheese. Roll up and place, seam side down, in the 9×13 pan. Repeat with the remaining tortillas.
Spread the remaining sauce over the enchiladas and top with additional cheese.
Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
Oh. my. goodness. These enchiladas were so very good, and they were very filling. I can’t imagine that anyone would be able to eat more than two of them.