Friday, August 27, 2010

Marinara Sauce

• 4 tablespoons olive oil
• 4 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 small onion, chopped
• 1 (28 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes
• 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
• 3 teaspoons dried basil leaves
• 1 teaspoon white sugar
• salt and pepper to taste

In a skillet over medium heat, saute garlic and onion in the olive oil; about 10 minutes. Break apart the whole tomatoes with your hands and add to the pan along with the crushed tomatoes, basil, sugar, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

**The only thing that I did different was to use Italian Seasoning in place of the basil. This just might be the best marinara sauce that I have ever eaten. It taste better than most restaurant sauces. It's not as thick as it could be though. Which was fine for me because I was using it as a dipping sauce anyway. It would be great for spaghetti (which is what it was made for). But I wouldn't try using it as a pizza sauce or anything like that unless I were to thicken it up first.

No comments:

Post a Comment