Tuesday, June 8, 2010
Strawberry Pretzel Salad
• 4 1/2 tablespoons white sugar
• 3/4 cup butter, melted
• 1 cup white sugar
• 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese
• 1 (8 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
• 1 (6 ounce) package strawberry flavored gelatin
• 2 cups boiling water
• 1 (16 ounce) package frozen strawberries
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Mix together the pretzels, 4 1/2 tablespoons sugar and melted butter. Press into the bottom of a 9x13 inch pan. Bake for 10 minutes, or until lightly toasted. Set aside to cool completely.
2. In a medium bowl, beat the sugar and cream cheese until smooth. Fold in whipped topping. Spread evenly over the cooled crust. Refrigerate until set, about 30 minutes.
3. In a medium bowl, stir together the gelatin mix and boiling water. Mix in frozen strawberries, and stir until thawed. Pour over cream cheese mixture in pan. Refrigerate until completely chilled, at least 1 hour.
Amount Per Serving Calories: 371
Total Fat: 22.3g
** Hints...It might be helpful to do the following:
1) instead of using 2 cups of water, use 1 cup of boiling water to dissolve the package of gelatin, then add 3/4 cup strawberry juice/syrup, and then add the strawberries; and
2)put the gelatin/strawberry mixture in the fridge for about an hour or so to thicken a bit before pouring it overtop of the cream cheese mixture (this is very key for the success of the dessert).
3) DON'T bake the pretzel layer any longer than 10 minutes.
4) Double the amount of jello to make it proportional to the amount of cream cheese. 3) Let the jello chill to thicken slightly before spreading on the cream cheese layer