Wednesday, June 16, 2010
King Ranch Chicken Casserole
• 1 (14.5 ounce) package tortilla chips
• 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chile peppers
• 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
• 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
• 1 onion, chopped
• 3 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C.)
2. Layer the chips in a 9x13 inch casserole dish.
3. Combine the tomatoes, chicken soup, mushroom soup and onion. Pour half of mixture over chips. Layer the chicken pieces, half of the cheese and the remaining soup mixture.
4. Bake at 300 degrees F (150 degrees C) for 20 minutes. Top with the remaining cheese and return to the oven until the cheese is melted.
Amount Per Serving Calories: 663
Total Fat: 41.4g
This recipe works better if you do the following: use cut-up corn tortillas rather than chips, cube the cooked chicken and blend the ro-tel tomatoes with the soups prior to cooking, use a mexican cheese blend, and if you use a whole onion, make it a small one! (especially if serving to kids). Layering the ingredients (including the chips/tortillas) ensures that no part of the casserole will be dry.