Wednesday, June 16, 2010
Mozzarella Mushroom Chicken
• 3 tablespoons olive oil
• 2 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
• 1 tablespoon garlic powder
• 1 clove garlic, minced
• 6 fresh mushrooms, sliced
• 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1. Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Place chicken in the skillet, and season with garlic powder and garlic. Cook 12 minutes on each side, or until juices run clear. Set chicken aside, and keep warm.
2. Stir mushrooms into the skillet, and cook until tender. Return chicken to skillet, layer with mushrooms, and top with cheese. Cover skillet, and continue cooking 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
Amount Per Serving Calories: 642
Total Fat: 42.2g
**I added basil, parsley and a little oregano.I let everything simmer in the pan for 30 minutes, then added some flour to make a gravy... WHICH WAS FABULOUS!! I also cut the chicken into halves.
*I added one onion (cook this before adding mushrooms) with the mushrooms. I also added a clove of garlic to this and salt and peppered it.
*It really better with a combination of EVOO and butter/margarine. After the mushrooms and onions are somewhat cooked I added the chicken. Make sure you don't overcook the chicken! I seasoned the chicken with salt and pepper as well. Eyeball the cheese and sprinkle the cheese directly into the pan so it melts. Serve from the pan, with steamed white rice. Yum!
*Variation: For step one use the same seasonings with a little flour to coat the chicken, and saute the breasts till golden. I remove the chicken to a plate. In the skillet, saute the mushrooms till tender. Then add 1C chicken broth, 1/3 C Marsalla wine. Simmer, scraping up any bits in the pan. Return the chicken and simmer till heated through. Top it with the cheese, put a lid on to melt it, then serve with linguini or a rice pilaf. Ladle the sauce with mushrooms over the cheese topped chicken It is a great variation. The recipe as is, is very flavorful, and with the light flavor of the wine sauce can really add to it.
* Good in oven too - Follow the 1st step browning the seasoned & floured chicken. when done, put it in a baking dish. In the skillet saute mushrooms, onion if you like, then add the broth/wine and let it simmer till reduced about 1/4. Pour over the chicken and top with cheese. 25 mins @ 350 and your set.