Wednesday, June 16, 2010
Captain's Crunch French Toast
• 2 1/2 tablespoons white sugar
• 1 cup heavy cream
• 1/2 cup 2% low-fat milk
• 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
• 1/2 (14 ounce) package brown sugar and butter flavored crispy corn and oat breakfast cereal (such as Cap’n Crunch®), crushed
• 6 thick slices egg bread (Challah)
• 2 tablespoons butter
1. Beat the eggs and sugar in a bowl until smooth. Pour in the cream, milk, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and nutmeg; whisk until smooth. Pour the crushed cereal into a shallow dish; set aside. Dip the egg bread into the egg mixture two pieces at a time until the egg has been soaked into the center of the slices, about 30 seconds per side. Press the soaked bread into the crushed cereal until coated on both sides. Set the finished slices aside on a piece of waxed paper.
2. Melt the butter in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the French toast in the hot pan until golden on both sides, about 3 minutes per side.