Wednesday, June 16, 2010
Cannellini Bean Salad
• 2 (15 ounce) cans white kidney or cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
• 1 medium red onion, sliced and separated into rings
• 1/4 cup minced fresh basil
• 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon pepper
• Clove garlic
1. Cut red pepper in half; remove seeds. Place pepper halves cut side down on a rack in a broiler pan. Broil 4 in. from the heat until skin blisters, about 8 minutes. Immediately place peppers in a bowl; cover and let stand for 15-20 minutes. Peel off and discard charred skin. Cut peppers into strips; place in a large bowl. Add the beans, onion and basil.
2. In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the vinegar, oil, salt and pepper; shake well. Pour over bean mixture; toss to coat.
• Nutritional Analysis: 3/4 cup equals 190 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 472 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 7 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 very lean meat, 1 fat.