Thursday, December 17, 2009
Famous Spaghetti Sauce
• 1 onion, chopped
• 1 green bell pepper, chopped
• 3 cloves garlic, minced
• 4 fresh mushrooms, sliced
• 1 pound ground turkey
• 1 pinch dried basil
• 1 pinch dried oregano
• ground black pepper to taste
• 1 (14.5 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
• 2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
• 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
1. In a large skillet over medium heat, saute onions, green bell pepper and garlic in olive oil until onions are translucent and the peppers are tender. Add the mushrooms, ground turkey, basil, oregano and ground black pepper; fry stirring frequently until the turkey is done.
2. Add the can of stewed tomatoes with liquid and reduce heat; simmering until the tomatoes are soft and begin to fall apart. Add the tomato sauce and stir; add tomato paste to thicken. Simmer on very low heat for about 15 minutes. Serve over you favorite pasta.
**A pinch of oregano and basil is not enough unless it is fresh herbs....to add flavor to all the tomatoes, paste, and sauce. I upped the oregano and basil. I added fresh ground pepper, salt, a bay leaf, and fresh basil. I alsohad to add some beef stock to this to get the thumbs up from everybody
Something I learned from a Italian friend, while sauting the onions and peppers, added the tomatoe paste and cook it till it starts to gets dark. This will add a great deal of charater and flavor to the finished sauce. I also used fresh herbs. I add the basil and oregano during the last 15 to 20 minutes of cooking because the herbs will have their flavor cooked out if left too long; this way the herbs will still have that bright fresh zing to them.