Thursday, December 31, 2009
• 3 slices bacon, cut into thirds
• 1/3 cup vegetable oil
• 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
• 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, or to taste
• 1 head cabbage, cored and sliced
• 1 white onion, chopped
• 1 pinch white sugar
1. Place the bacon and vegetable oil into a large pot over medium heat. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until bacon is crisp. Add cabbage, onion, and sugar to the pot; cook and stir continuously for 5 minutes, until tender.
Fried Cabbage Texas Style
• 1 small head cabbage, thinly sliced
• 1 teaspoon white sugar
• 6 slices bacon
• 5 tablespoons corn bread mix
• 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
• 1/2 cup chopped onion
• 2 fresh jalapeno peppers, seeded and julienned
• salt and pepper to taste
1. Place the shredded cabbage into a large bowl, and sprinkle the sugar over it. This will remove the excess water from the cabbage. Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble and set aside, reserving grease in skillet.
2. In a small bowl, mix together the cornbread mix and cayenne pepper. Stir into the cabbage until well blended. In the skillet the bacon was cooked in, saute onion and jalapeno in the hot bacon grease until tender. Stir in cabbage, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook until the cabbage wilts, about 15 minutes. Stir in crumbled bacon, and serve immediately.