Friday, March 19, 2010
Southern Peach Cobbler
• 1/2 cup butter
• 1 cup white sugar
• 3/4 cup self-rising flour
• 3/4 cup milk
• 1 (29 ounce) can sliced peaches in light syrup
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Place butter in a deep 2 quart baking dish and place in oven to melt.
2. In a medium bowl, mix sugar and flour. Stir in milk, a little at a time, until wholly incorporated. Pour carefully over melted butter in dish. Spoon peaches and syrup over batter.
3. Bake in preheated oven 35 to 45 minutes, until crust is puffed and golden.
**I halved the recipe, except for the sugar, using 1/2 cup white, 1/2 cup brown. I also used 4 of the single serving peach cups instead of canned fruit. added a good bit of vanilla and cinnamon to crust mix. also sprinkled the tops of the peaches with brown sugar and cinnamon. Baked for 40 min. in a 8x8 glass dish. This came out soooo good, no problems with raw center.
***use regular flour (add 2 t of baking powder) and the sugar is only 3/4 a cup of white sugar if using canned peaches. For fresh soak in an added 3/4 c of white sugar. Also, she adds 1/4 t of salt. I use 1 t of vanilla extract and for the milk half the 3/4 c is half and half and the other half is whipping cream. I have always baked it in a an 8x8 dish (CLEAR GLASS for fruits always) and never ended up with a soggy cobbler.