Assemble breakfast burritos or english muffin sandwiches and freeze them individually. They are great for busy mornings on the run, –AND cheaper than buying pre-made stuff, or stopping at the fast food chains of course.
Here is a recipe for freezable burritos:
Makes 12 tacos, prep 15 min, cook time 20 min
- 1 dozen eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 lb bacon (12 slices)
- 6 oz cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- dash of garlic powder
- few dashes of Lousiana Hot Sauce
- 2 T butter
- 12 flour tortillas
2. Combine eggs and milk, seasonings and hot sauce beat.
3. Pour into hot skillet that you have melted a couple of tablespoons of butter in and scramble.
4. Allow to cool while preparing an assembly line station for making the tacos.
5. Let your ingredients cool before making the tacos because too much heat will steam them and make them wet. We aren’t eating them now so it doesn’t matter if its cold-in fact, it is better.
6. Warm up the tortillas (I know I just said it should all be cold, but not the tortillas or they will tear) by heating them in the microwave covered by a damp towel for about 1 minute, until they are soft and pliable.
7. Lay out a tortilla, add a small slice of cheese, a small scoop of egg, and a small scoop of whatever else you are adding, a slice of bacon, etc… Don’t try to over stuff the tortillas or they will rip or leak and you won’t have your handy portable breakfast.
8. Fold in the sides the roll the tortilla up so all the filling is enclosed. Place seam side down to cool. Continue with remaining tortillas and filling.
9. Once tacos are cool roll them up in parchment or wax paper or plastic wrap. Freeze. After frozen transfer to a freezer bag.
10. To reheat: If wrapped in paper, place in the microwave and microwave in 30 second bursts for about 2 minutes or until hot through. If wrapped in plastic, remove plastic wrap and wrap in a paper towel to microwave.