Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Popcorn Balls


Talk about taking me back to my childhood and even my kids back to their childhood!!  My Aunt (Great Aunt) Eunice lived next door to my all of my child life, and most of my adult life.  She made popcorn balls every Halloween.  Kids (and adults too) came from miles to get her popcorn balls on Halloween night!  She always had tons of trick or treaters searching for those yummy balls.  She passed away and we no longer have that blessing in our life.  I love them so much, now that I am a Nanna, I will have to start this tradition for my grandkids!!


Today Americans consume over 17.3 billion quarts of popped popcorn. That's an average of 68 quarts for each of us. There's no telling how many ears of corn that takes! Popcorn Balls are one of those simple gifts from the kitchen that can't be improved upon!  What memories she created for each of us. They are a treat for all ages.

Ingredients:
• 3 quarts of popcorn
• 1 cup sugar
• 1/3 cup corn syrup
• 1/2 cup water
• 1/4 cup butter
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Instructions:

First, pop about 3 quarts of popcorn. Then start making the syrup, which will give the popcorn balls great flavor and holds all the corn together.

In a large saucepan combine the sugar with the corn syrup, and add water, butter and salt over medium high heat. Now, cook this stirring constantly until all of the sugar has dissolved. Next, stop stirring and let it continue to cook until it reaches a temperature of 270 degrees or until the syrup forms a ball when dropped into cold water. Then add the vanilla for a little added flavor.

Just pour this syrup over the 3 quarts of salted popped corn and mix it together. Grease your hands with butter and shape them into balls. Once you pour the syrup in you need to work fast because it will harden.

Now the balls will last up to 2 weeks in air tight bags but around my house, they evaporate long before that.

No comments:

Post a Comment