Friday, October 23, 2009
Loaded Mashed Potatoes
• 2 heads garlic
• 6 pounds Idaho potatoes, peeled and quartered
• 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
• 1/2 cup butter
• 1 (12-ounce) carton sour cream
• 1 (8-ounce) block sharp white Cheddar, grated
• 1 1/2 pounds cooked bacon, julienned
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Cut tops off 2 garlic heads. Wrap in foil and roast for 30 minutes. When cool enough to handle remove the flesh from the garlic heads and set aside.
In a large stockpot, cook potatoes in enough salted water to cover for 10 to 15 minutes or until tender.
Drain and return to stockpot. Beat with an electric mixer until smooth; adding salt, to taste, pepper, butter, garlic and sour cream. With a spatula stir in cheese and bacon. Add more salt and pepper, if necessary. Serve immediately.