Thursday, July 8, 2010

Popsicles For Breakfast

From: http://www.howdoesshe.blogspot.com/

Why not when you make your own and pack them with fruit AND a TOP SECRET ingredient that is so healthy, it must remain secret. So secret that I am going to show you the process in reverse so that the SECRET INGREDIENT remains secret until the very end! Many of you may already know the ingredient I am talking about, but shhh, don’t spoil it for everyone else:)

So here is your dEliCiOuS breakfast popsicle.

This is how you get it to slide right out of the mold. Warm water.

Frozen in the popsicle mold (yes, I lost one, but that is what popsicle sticks are for anyway, right?)


You can also freeze them in cups if you don’t have a mold.


Pour your concoction into your mold.

Here it is all blended.


Blending. Don’t fall in.


Finally, the ingredients. Spot the secret?

A closer look at the powerhouse.


SPINACH.

“sErIoUsLy?” You ask. “Seriously.” I say. Don’t knock it til you try it. My kids had NO IDEA the first time I made one for them. The next time I made the mistake of letting them watch me make it. You should’ve heard the complaints, “I am NOT eating that!” and “EEEEWWWW GROSS!!!” Also a little, “I HATE spinach! (even though the “H” word is not allowed in our house – they ripped it out for this special occassion). I told them they ate it last time and LOVED it... Silence.... Taste. “I guess it’s alright.” Nothing left in their glasses. End of story.

Who would’ve guessed? Except all you that have tried this and can vouch for it.

HINT: your first time, make it with blueberries. They totally hide the green color as you can see – it just makes a deep purple. Don’t worry, I won’t tell your kids. It will be our little secret!


I usually make a smoothie for breakfast one day.
And then make popsicles with the leftovers and either have them for a snack later, or for breakfast the next morning.

Good Stuff.

I don’t have a specific recipe for you because I never make the same smoothie twice. You can get an idea about how much to use of each ingredient by looking at the picture with all the ingredients layered in the blender. Also, if you google GREEN SMOOTHIE – you will get a ton of recipes and ideas.

  • Blueberries (unlike other berries, blueberries grind up nice and smooth).
  • Frozen peaches (I usually use frozen bananas – you probably know this trick also, but when bananas start to go bad, just put them in the freezer. When you need a banana (for a smoothie, muffins or bread) just run them under hot water for a bit until the skin loosens and then peel it right off.)
  • Coconut milk
  • Plain yogurt
  • Vanilla and almond extract
  • Spinach (of course)
  • A little agave nectar or honey
Blend and ENJOY!

The perfect HEALTHY treat toBEAT the SUMMER HEAT

No comments:

Post a Comment