Friday, July 30, 2010
Four Cheese Macaroni
• 1 (16 ounce) package elbow macaroni
• 9 tablespoons butter
• ½ – ¾ cup shredded Muenster cheese
• ½ – ¾ cup shredded Cheddar cheese
• ½ – ¾ cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
• ½ – ¾ cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
• 2 cups half-and-half
• 8 ounces cubed processed cheese food - Velvetta
• 2 eggs, beaten
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the oil and the pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain well and return to cooking pot.
2. In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt 8 tablespoons butter; stir into the macaroni.
3. In a large bowl, combine the Muenster cheese, mild and sharp Cheddar cheeses, and Monterey Jack cheese; mix well.
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
5. Add the half and half, 1 1/2 cups of cheese mixture, cubed processed cheese food, and eggs to macaroni; mix together and season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a lightly greased deep 2 1/2 quart casserole dish. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese mixture and 1 tablespoon of butter.
*I mix up the Velveeta cubes until they're melted and then mix in the shredded cheeses real well too, before adding in the rest. Also I bake for 17 minutes and then do some more mixing and then sprinkle the last of the cheese and butter on top for the remaining 17 or so minutes. That's the magic ticket for me.
**I melted the butter in a pot on the stove, added the Velveeta cheese, then half the half/half and half skim milk, then the shredded cheeses. I was continually stiring with a rubber spatula and slowly adding all the cheese. When it melted completely, I took it off the heat. Then I tempered the beaten eggs with some of the warm cheese mixture. I then added the elbows, s & p, beaten eggs and warm cheese mixture. Stirring. Then baked in a glass pan.