Thursday, July 22, 2010
• 3 tablespoons water
• 1 (16 ounce) jar pizza sauce
• 1 (8 ounce) package sliced pepperoni
• 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
• 1 (14 ounce) package egg roll wrappers
Oil for frying
1. Heat oil in a deep-fryer or large saucepan to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). Whisk egg and water together in a small bowl.
2. Combine the pizza sauce and pepperoni in a blender or food processor. Process until pepperoni is well chopped and the sauce has thickened. Transfer sauce to a large bowl, and stir in mozzarella.
3. Lay out one eggroll wrapper on work surface. Place 1 tablespoon filling at the bottom center of the wrapper, leaving 1/2 inch border on each side. Lightly brush the wrapper edges with the egg mixture. Fold over both sides; roll up to encase filling in wrapper. Repeat with remaining wrappers and filling.
4. Deep fry pizza rolls in batches until crisp and golden brown, 5-9 minutes.
Yummo! They do take some time to make but they are well worth it. I made homemade pizza sauce and used pepperjack cheese. I baked them at 400 for about 13 minutes. Spray the tops with cooking spray and they brown nicely. Ate some and froze the rest.