Tuesday, September 1, 2009
Red White & Blue Poke Cake
• 2 baked round white cake layers (9 inch), cooled
• 2 cups boiling water, divided
• 1 pkg. (4-serving size) Jell-O Brand Strawberry Flavor Gelatin, or any other red flavor
• 1 pkg. (4-serving size) Jell-O Brand Berry Blue Flavor Gelatin
• 1 tub (8 oz.) Cool Whip, thawed, divided
PLACE cake layers, top-sides up, in two clean 9-inch round cake pans. Pierce cakes with large fork at 1/2-inch intervals.
STIR 1 cup of the boiling water into each flavor dry gelatin mix in separate small bowls 2 min. until completely dissolved. Carefully pour red gelatin over 1 cake layer and blue gelatin over remaining cake layer. Refrigerate 3 hours.
DIP one cake pan in warm water 10 sec.; unmold onto serving plate. Spread with about 1 cup of the whipped topping. Unmold second cake layer; carefully place on first cake layer. Frost top and side of cake with remaining whipped topping. Refrigerate 1 hour or until ready to serve. Cut into 16 slices to serve. Store leftover cake in refrigerator.