Friday, September 11, 2009

Marshmallow Fondant

• 1/4 cup butter

• 1 (16 ounce) package miniature marshmallows **
• 4 tablespoons water
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 2 pounds confectioners' sugar, divided

DIRECTIONS:
1. Place the butter in a shallow bowl, and set aside.
2. Place the marshmallows in a large microwave-safe bowl, and microwave on High for 30 seconds to 1 minute to start melting the marshmallows. Carefully stir the water and vanilla extract into the hot marshmallows, and stir until the mixture is smooth. Slowly beat in the confectioners' sugar, a cup at a time, until you have a sticky dough. Reserve 1 cup of powdered sugar for kneading. The dough will be very stiff.

3. Rub your hands thoroughly with butter, and begin kneading the sticky dough. As you knead, the dough will become workable and pliable. Turn the dough out onto a working surface dusted with confectioners' sugar and continue kneading until the fondant is smooth and no longer sticky to the touch, 5 to 10 minutes.

4. Form the fondant into a ball, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap, and refrigerate overnight. To use, allow the fondant to come to room temperature, and roll it out onto a flat surface dusted with confectioners' sugar.

**I made this with MARSHMALLOW FLUFF!!!! I definitely recommend to do it this way! Instead of having to wait till the melted marshmallows cooled, I skipped the melting the marshmallows and water step and I placed a whole container of marshmallow fluff into the refrigerator overnight. The next morning, I sprayed my kitchen aid very well with PAM, dumped the whole container of Marshmallow fluff into the KA and food coloring and confectioner/powdered sugar as needed. This really was not that difficult or messy at all. When the fondant was at a good consistency, I placed it into plastic wrap and into the freezer for about a 1/2 hour. I then rolled it out and it rolled really nicely. I used this fondant to cover a barbie doll cake than I made for my daughter's birthday! I spread a very thin layer of regular frosting onto the cakes surface to make sure the fondant would stick to the cake. It came out great!

I use vegetable shortening (Crisco) instead of melted butter to coat my hands and the counter when working with it, works wonders. Also this recipe comes out more ivory than white...so if you want a white fondant you can get the Wilton's Icing Color White-White (comes in a small 2 oz. bottle) to add to your fondant. Works wonders!


No comments:

Post a Comment