Wednesday, February 3, 2010
Chicken Cordon Bleu Bites
• 9 ounces ground chicken
• 1/4 cup cooked, cubed ham
• 1 egg
• 1/2 cup bread crumbs (if use seasoned watch salt)
• 8 ounces Swiss cheese, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
• Salt, pepper, garlic to taste
• canola oil for pan-frying
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Combine the chicken, and egg in a large bowl until well blended. Gradually add bread crumbs until the mixture loses its stickiness and can be easily formed into balls.
3. Form the chicken mixture around the cheese and ham* cubes, forming 2 inch balls. Place on a plate.
4. Heat 1 1/2 inches of oil in a deep skillet to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Fry the balls until the outsides are golden brown, about 4 minutes. Drain on paper towels, and place in baking dish.
5. Bake in preheated oven until cooked through and cheese is soft, about 20 minutes. Cool briefly before serving.
**Optional…diced ham and mix with chicken then form around cheese.
***I rolled the meatballs in the italian bread crumbs plus grated parmesian cheese before frying them. After I took the meatballs out of the oven I sprinkled some of the parmesian cheese on top.
***I made some dipping sauce (for regular chicken cordon bleu): 1 can cream of chicken soup + 1/2 cup sour cream + 1 tsp. lemon juice (or white wine) + 1 T. parmesan cheese. Heated in a small saucepan for a while, and the balls were really good dipped in it! Added just the extra kick they needed.