Friday, April 9, 2010
Olive Cheese Melts
• 1 cup black olives, chopped
• 1/3 cup green onions, chopped
• 1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
• 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
• 1/2 cup mayonnaise
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 8 English muffins, split in half
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
2. In a medium-size mixing bowl, combine olives, green onions, Cheddar cheese, curry powder, mayonnaise, and salt. Mix well.
3. Spread mixture on English muffins. Cut the English muffins into fourths. Note: If you want to freeze these, now is the time! Arrange the muffin pieces on a cookie sheet.
4. Bake at 400 degrees F (200 degrees C) for 10 minutes.
Notes: You can also make without curry or salt, and also use cocktail rye, which makes very nice hors d'oeuvres. You can actually spread this olive cheese spread on the bread or muffins, and then freeze on a cookie sheet. Once frozen; store in foil and a Ziploc freezer bag. All you have to do when company comes is pop them in the oven, and voila! Instant appetizers!
You can also use green olives instead of black and skipped the salt. Also, olives as I had before, skipped the salt again and tried it with cream cheese because I was out of mayo. Served it on marble rye bread. They were even better!
Fantastic! So easy to make yet so tasty. We ate it topped with fresh tomato slices for breakfast on a rainy Sunday. It was perfect