Thursday, April 29, 2010
Chicken Asparagus Roll-Ups
• 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
• 1 lemon, juiced and zested
• 2 teaspoons dried tarragon
• 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 16 spears fresh asparagus, trimmed
• 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
• 4 slices provolone cheese
• 1 cup panko bread crumbs
1. Preheat oven to 475 degrees F (245 degrees C). Grease a baking dish. In a bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, lemon juice, lemon zest, tarragon, salt, and pepper until the mixture is well combined. Set aside.
2. Cook asparagus in the microwave on High until bright green and just tender, 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. Set the asparagus spears aside. Place a chicken breast between two sheets of heavy plastic (resealable freezer bags work well) on a solid, level surface. Firmly pound the chicken breast with the smooth side of a meat mallet to a thickness of about 1/4 inch. Repeat with the rest of the chicken breasts.
3. Place 1 slice of provolone on each chicken breast, and top the cheese with 4 asparagus spears per breast. Roll the chicken breasts around the asparagus and cheese, making a tidy package, and place, seam sides down, in the prepared baking dish. With a pastry brush, apply a coating of the mayonnaise mixture to each chicken breast, and sprinkle each with panko crumbs, pressing the crumbs into the chicken to make a coating.
4. Bake in the preheated oven until the crumbs are browned and the chicken juices run clear, about 25 minutes.
Notes: You get alot of "Wow" factor for a pretty simple dish to make. I'd recommend putting some of the sauce in the middle of the roll up for more flavor.
I added a tablespoon of the sauce between the chicken and provolone before rolling.
For the sauce, I used light mayo, omitted the lemon zest and salt, and added a little cayenne pepper to spice it up a little. I used a slice of proscuitto and shredded swiss cheese instead of a slice of provolone, and used 6-7 pieces of asparagus