Friday, November 13, 2009
Holiday Peppered Pecans
• 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
• 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
• 1/2 teaspoon ground paprika
• 1/2 teaspoon ground dried thyme
• 2 egg whites
• 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
• 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco®)
• 1/8 teaspoon liquid smoke flavoring (optional)
• 1 pound pecan halves
1. Preheat an oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Spray a large heavy roasting pan with cooking spray.
2. Mix black pepper, white pepper, cayenne pepper, paprika, and dried thyme in a small bowl. Set aside.
3. Whisk egg whites in a large bowl until foamy. Add Worcestershire, hot sauce, and liquid smoke flavoring and whisk to mix. Drop in pecans and stir to coat well. Pour coated pecans into a colander to drain off extra egg white mixture; return to bowl and add the pepper mixture. Stir well to coat each pecan with spices.
4. Spread pecans in prepared roasting pan. Roast in preheated oven for 5 minutes and stir pecans; roast an additional 5 minutes and stir again. Turn off heat and roast pecans an additional 5 to 10 minutes until pecans are lightly browned and fragrant. Let cool and serve at room temperature.